Colonoscopy Prep Instructions (PM Exam)
Miralax (same as Glycolax)
You will need to purchase these items below-these are all over the counter and you can find listed options of alternatives on the back of this sheet.
Miralax bottle (238 grams or 8.3 ounces)
(4) Dulcolax or bisacodyl tablets (5 milligram tablets)
(2) 32 oz. bottles of re-hydration (sports) drink except no red drinks (See back of this sheet
for list of brands to choose from)
DAY ONE = one day prior to colonoscopy appointment
7:00 am – 10:00 am
You may have a light breakfast within this time. For example: Toast and Egg or cereal are ok.
Begin clear liquid diet (list on back) Absolutely NO food or alcohol after 10:00 am
Take 2 dulcolax tablets with water
Take remaining 2 dulcolax tablets with water (do not crush or chew and do not take within 1 hour of taking an antacid
Mix the bowel prep powder with both bottles of sports rehydration drink. Before mixing, pour bowel prep powder in an empty pitcher or container and add re-hydration drink. Chill if desired.
Start to drink the first dose of bowel prep (First bottle of rehydration drink). Drink (1) 8oz. glass every 15 minutes over a one hour period. Drink each glass quickly rather than drinking small amounts continuously. Continue to drink
DAY TWO = day of colonoscopy exam
Begin drinking the second ½ of bowel prep (2nd bottle of rehydration drink). Drink over a 1 hour period, finishing by 8:00 am.
Starting 2 hours before your colonoscopy, stop ALL fluids. Take nothing (NO FOOD OR DRINK) by mouth.
For use of your medications, refer to the orange medication instruction sheet enclosed.
Call (585) 461-2498 if you have any questions regarding any of these instructions.
Arrive at your assigned time.
**We encourage clear liquid intake up to 2 hours before your procedure time**
Clear Liquids = day of colonoscopy exam
(NO ALCOHOL): *Do not drink any liquid that is RED*
- Clear juices (apple, white grape juice, orange drink, white cranberry juice)
- Black coffee or tea (no creamers) sugar OK
- Bouillon or clear broth
- Soda pop (Sprite, Ginger-ale, Mountain Dew), Gatorade (no red)
- Jell-o (no red), popsicles (no red), Lemon Ice
BOWEL PREP TABLETS: (any of these brands)
These are the PILLS to take at the start of your bowel prep
- Bisacodyl (Generic)
- Carters Little Pills
- Fleet Bisacodyl
DO NOT USE STOOL SOFTENERS
Re-Hydration (Sport) Drinks: Two 32 oz Bottles *NO RED DRINKS
This is the liquid used to mix with the powder (below)
- Powerade (contains less sugar than Gatorade)
- Powerade zero (even less sugar, best for diabetics)
- G2 (same amount of electrolytes as Gatorade, just fewer calories)
- W-sport drink (Wegmans brand)
- HydraLife Powder
Bowel Prep Powder
This is the powder to mix with liquid (above)
- Please wear socks as it sometimes can get cool in the procedure room.
- No nail polish on fingers only (you do not need to remove acrylic nails). The nail polish may interfere with the oxygen sensor that is placed on your finger.
- Diabetics may use Powerade Zero as it contains less sugar than regular Powerade.