IBS Treatment in Rochester, NY
Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS)
Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) is a chronic condition of the large intestine that causes uncomfortable symptoms. Most cases of IBS are minor and unlike gastrointestinal diseases such as Crohn’s Disease or Colitis, don’t lead to any serious conditions such as colorectal cancer. A very small amount of people with IBS have severe symptoms. If you are experiencing symptoms of IBS, contact Rochester Colon & Rectal Surgeons to discuss your diagnosis and treatment with our colorectal surgeons. To schedule your consultation at one of our six colorectal surgery centers in Rochester, NY, please call (585) 222-6566 today.
Symptoms of IBS include:
- Diarrhea or Constipation
- Abdominal Pain and/or Cramps
- Feeling Bloated
- Rapid Change in Bowel Habits
- Food Intolerance
These symptoms need to occur over a long period of time in order to be diagnosed with IBS. It’s also important to know that these symptoms can occur without having IBS, or can be caused by other GI conditions.
There’s no central root to why IBS occurs. However, the physical cause of IBS is when the muscle lining in your intestines that’s used to rhythmically contract and relax to push food through them is not working properly. This means that the contractions may last longer/shorter or tighter/weaker than they should be, leading to the many uncomfortable symptoms.
The following stimuli may cause IBS in some people, although it varies from person to person:
- Food Allergies/Intolerance: Make sure you know which foods cause your IBS symptoms, keep track of when symptoms occur and make a list.
- Other Illnesses: GI infections such as gastroenteritis can cause IBS as well as other GI diseases.
- Psychological Factors: Stress, depression, and anxiety can all cause IBS.
- Family History: Just like with any ailment, a family history of IBS can mean you’re more likely to have it as well.
Most cases of IBS can be helped with the following treatments:
- Changing Diets: Eliminating gluten, high gas foods (soda, certain vegetables) as well as cutting out some carbohydrates like fructose and lactose (FODMAPs). This is also why it’s important to keep track of what foods cause IBS for you.
- Medication: Some medications can calm IBS symptoms such as:
- Anti-Diarrheal (Imodium)
- Fiber Supplements (Metamucil)
- Antidepressants; depending on if you have depression or not, your physician may prescribe different types of antidepressants.
- Antispasmodic (Levsin)
- IBS-specific medication (Lotronex, Amitiza)
- Antibiotics if the IBA is caused by infection.
Schedule an Appointment for IBS Treatment in Rochester Today!
Receive the medical attention that your body needs, and contact Rochester Colon & Rectal Surgeons, P.C. if you begin to notice signs of irritable bowel syndrome or have questions about your condition. Patients may call (585) 222-6566 to request an appointment with our board-certified colorectal surgeons at one of our six colorectal surgery centers in Rochester, NY.